Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Applied Buddhism

"Applied buddhism" has a wonderful ring to it. It's what I find myself attempting to do in my life. Not just by meditating or being a vegetarian or trying very hard not to kill that mosquito or freakishly large spider, but by actually applying the philosophy of Buddhism to my thoughts and actions.

Some buddhist teachings can come off as esoteric or nihilistic or like a riddle that can only be understood by those who choose to devote their whole lives and focus to enlightenment. I have to be honest - when I read books on buddhism, it tends to feel very lifeless to me. Yet in the past 7 years, I have been fortunate enough to receive some wonderful teachings that have moved me profoundly through their simplicity and clarity. They've taught me to draw lines connecting vast concepts to their immediate example in the present moment. In this blog I hope to share my attempts with you all. Please feel free to comment and question :)



No comments:

Post a Comment